Friday, June 22, 2012

Encouraging Words

Just the other day I was reminded of one of the best moments of this past year for me.
It was the first lock-in that our youth group had with our new youth pastor Brandon and this lock-in seemed like nothing out of the ordinary, just playing Grog, Knock-out, and Euchre. I mean that's what we did all the time at lock-ins with our old youth pastor. But it was around the time of 11:30 that night when he did something different, he took all of us into the little worship center in the church and we had ourselves a miniature worship service with music and a short message about being the future of our nation and world. But it's what he did after this is what was amazing, he said to all of us that he wanted to pray individually with each one of us. So he started at the back of the room and worked his way toward the front of the room, which is where Jake, Kent, and I were sitting. Then I looked around and saw that we were the only people left in the room. So Brandon walks up to us and sits in the row in front of us and says these words; "You know if it weren't for you guys I probably wouldn't have taken this job. Because I have been to a lot of churches and youth groups and  I always saw a lack of Male leaders in those youth groups. So when I was called for this job I was thinking that this church was going to be no different and then I saw you guys and how you lead this youth group and then I knew that I wanted this job. You guys should consider yourselves leaders and role-models for the other people in the youth group and the younger kids." Now I don't know how that made Kent or Jake feel but for me at least, hearing those words and me only being a sophomore made me almost begin to cry. I mean Brandon just told me that he took this job because he saw us as leaders. WAIT a minute! Sophomores aren't supposed to be leaders. I mean I can't remember ever watching a college football game where the Quarterback was a sophomore. He was always either a Junior or a Senior. Now with Kent and Jake both being Seniors it didn't really surprise me that he called them leaders but calling me a leader, now that shocked me. I shouldn't be in the same category with two seniors on terms of leadership I mean they have been in the youth group for 6 years and I'm just past my 3rd year, I don't get it. I mean I don't know what I've done to be labeled a leader or role-model. I'm still looking up to other people as role-models and leaders including Brandon himself and sometimes even Jake and Kent. I was feeling really confused at that time but then I felt something inside of say "Hey, don't over think it, just keep doing what you've been doing." I know that had to have been God talking to me. He was telling me that I had been called a leader for just being myself and for being a young man of God. It just took Brandon telling me that I was leader to realize that I need to be just the person that I am to be considered a leader. No more, no less! I will always remember that night and Brandon's encouraging words.

1 comment:

  1. "God doesn't call the qualified, He qualifies the called."

    I don't know where this quote originated but I can clearly remember Rev. Derek Weber saying this at camp when I was a sophomore. Andy if we are to look to anything other than God in us to justify any amount of worthiness we have we'll always fall short. I look at myself and see all the flaws that make me question what business I have being part of the church. Then everyday I see the work that God does through me, this weak vessel and it shows even more how loving, glorious, patient, generous and awesome our God really is.

    You have amazing parents that are training you up in the way you should go and I am honored to be a part of your journey as you strive for christian perfection. You have been given many talents just like in Matt 25 and I am confident one day you will hear "Well done, my good and faithful servent."

    In Him,
    Brandon

    ReplyDelete